Friends of the Bohm Theatre was formed in 2010 to purchase and renovate the historic Bohm Theatre. The theatre is located in downtown Albion, has a single-screen, and can house up to 400 people. Originally built to show movies and vaudeville acts, the Bohm Theatre first opened its doors on Christmas Day in 1929.
Although a line of credit was established for renovation purposes, the majority of the costs were covered through fundraising efforts of the Friends of the Bohm Theatre and the Albion Community Foundation. Additionally, the project received a State of Michigan Community Development Block Grant through the Michigan Strategic Fund. InSite Capital provided support for structuring and utilizing available tax credits for the project to complete the financing package.
Completed in 2014, the Bohm Theatre now provides students of Albion College and the Albion community with a venue for viewing movies and live performances. Members of the Albion Community, Friends of the Bohm Theatre, the Albion Community Foundation, and Albion College have contributed time, effort, and financial assistance to support the redevelopment. The Bohm Theatre has become a catalyst to support continued activity in downtown Albion.
In addition, the Bohm Theatre was the recipient of the 2015 State of Michigan Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation.